Monday, November 25, 2013

Keeping Christmas Simple Four Gift Rule

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am reminded that Christmas is just around the corner and that the gift-giving season is upon us. I love finding the perfect Christmas gift for each of my loved ones and seeing the joy on their faces when they open their presents.

My daughter has reached the age where she can tell me what she wants for Christmas. This year I helped her write out a Christmas wish list and had her walk through Target checking out the latest toys.  As she walked through the toy department, I mentally kept track of which toys she played with and which she ignored.

 Just for fun, here is my two year old's Christmas Wish List. 
I love how she just asked for simple things. 
Her list is a reminder that my kiddos don't need or want as much as I think they do.

With all this gift buying preparation, I started wondering, "How many of these toys should she get for Christmas? How many presents do you give your children? How do I decide which of all these items should I purchase? How can I give my children what they want/need without breaking the bank?

If you're like me and want to provide your children with a nice Christmas but do not want to go overboard, you may want to try this "Four Gift Rule".
This gift-giving rule is great because it provides all of the essentials for your children and alleviates the wasteful spending. It reminds me to keep the presents I buy balanced between what they need vs. want and what is fun vs. educational.

I know when my kids are teenagers, they will probably make using this rule difficult.They will want the latest electronic device or video game but for now I'm going to use it. Let's keep Christmas simple. Reduce the time spent on gift buying and increase time spent enjoying your family.

Merry Christmas!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment